Seattle Renter's Handbook - 10 Books (2022)
Printed Materials for Tenants
The Seattle Renter's Handbook must be given to tenants in hard copy form at move-in, before lease signing.
The handbook discusses the rental cycle from finding a home to moving-out, explaining the regulations as they apply during the process. There is a helpful index in the back of the handbook, as well as the voter registration form required by the Rental Agreement Regulation Ordinance. The new handbook also includes tips and best practices to help enhance the rental relationship. As per the standing regulations, the handbook must be provided to renters as follows (a digital copy is acceptable unless otherwise indicated):
- When a renter applies to rent
- At the initial signing of a rental agreement (printed copy required)
- At the renewal of a rental agreement
- Annually for month-to-month tenants
- Whenever the City makes updates
You must give tenants a paper copy when they sign a new rental agreement, but you may send it by email in all other cases. Translated versions are available.
- To comply with the requirement to provide the document "Whenever the City makes updates", you may email the following link to your tenants: http://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/RentingInSeattle/languages/English/RentersHandbook_English.pdf
- To comply with the requirement to provide a hard copy to a new tenant at lease signing:
- Print your own copy from the digital file linked above; or
- Order this printed handbook in advance of lease signing.
The Seattle Department of Construction & Inpsection (SDCI) provides copies of the Renter's Handbook to RHAWA at no cost. The $12.30 charge covers RHAWA's expense for shipping, envelop and labor to handle each order of 10 books. Individual books are available for $3.30.
Please note that Handbooks are NOT available for pick up at our office. Your order will be shipped to the address you provide within 5 business days. Please contact our office with any questions at email@example.com or by calling (206) 283-0816.