Governor's Eviction Moratorium Bridge
- Begins on July 1, 2021 and ends September 30, 2021.
- Prohibits serving a pay or vacate notice and filing an eviction for nonpayment of rent unless the county has a functioning rental assistance program and eviction resolution program.
- "Functioning rental assistance program" is proven by a letter from each assistance distributor.
- The housing provider is allowed to serve a pay or vacate notice for rent due on August 1, 2021. This pay or vacate can only be for rent due beginning in August 2021, and cannot include other rental arrears. Statewide protections still apply. A pay or vacate for August 1, 2021 rent may only be served IF the following conditions are met:
- The tenant did not pay the full or negotiated rental rate.
- The tenant does not have a pending rental assistance application.
- The jurisdictions rental assistance program is distributing all available rental assistance and accepting applications.
- Prohibits late fees for all rent due between February 29, 2020 and September 30, 2021.
- Rent increases can be served statewide on July 1, 2021, following appropriate notice periods.
- Requires notice of ERP and rental assistance on all pay or vacate notices.
- Requires housing providers to offer payment plans consistent with E2SSB 5160
- Allows for all other terminations under current state and local just cause laws.
Read full text of Governor's proclamation 21-09.
See updated COVID-19 summary page that also includes local emergency orders.