- Allows a tenant to sue the housing provider if they:
- Violate any provision of RCW 59.18 or RCW 59.20
- Engaged in "Unfair, deceptive or abusive practices"
- Violate any provision in the lease.
- A show cause hearing must be scheduled by the court within 14 days of filing
- If issues of material fact are raised, the show cause will be pushed to trial.
- Permits a court that rules in favor of the tenant to do any or all of the following:
- Require remedy by the housing provider
- Forgive or require a refund of the rent
- Allow the tenant to remedy the issue and charge the housing provider
- Terminate the tenancy and award the tenant damages
- Reinstate a tenancy
- Permits the court to appoint an administrator to oversee the case.
- Requires the housing provider to pay the fees and costs of the administrator.
- Repeals RCW 59.18.080 and RCW 59.20.240 requiring a tenant to be current on rent before taking action against a housing provider.
- Hearing in the House Housing, Human Services and Veterans Committee on January 28th at 10:00 am
Hackney, Macri, Berry, Fitzgibbon, Johnson, J., Peterson, Ramel, Chopp, Bateman, Pollet
FOR MORE INFO.