SB 5697 Manufactured Housing Rent Control
Authorizing the utilities and transportation commission to regulate the rates and services of all persons engaging in the business of acting as a landlord for a mobile home park, manufactured housing community, or manufactured/mobile home community.
- Applies only to Manufactured Housing and it has added the UTC as the governing "rent control board" instead of the "Department of Commerce."
- Purports to authorize the utilities and transportation commission (UTC) to regulate the rates and services of all persons engaging in the business of acting as a landlord for a manufactured home community/mobile home park.
- Amends RCW 59.20.
- Adds a definition of consumer price index which references the West Region index published in September of the current calendar year.
- Caps annual rent increases as follows (Section 2 (1) (a) and (b)):
- No increase during first 12 months of tenancy
- At any time after the first year, increase may not exceed an amount greater than the rate of inflation as measured by the consumer price index
- Contains vacancy control in limited situations where the tenancy is terminated by the landlord [landlord terminating a tenancy may not set rent for the next tenancy in an amount greater than the consumer price index].
- Certain exemptions including (a) full decontrol if the tenant leaves voluntarily and (b) a banked capacity program.
- Expressly removes current law that describes leases having a term of 2 years or more; the intent must be to impair all such existing leases and prohibit new ones that do not conform to this bill.
Feb 3 First reading, referred to Housing. (View Original Bill)
Feb 10 Scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Housing at 10:30 AM (Subject to change). (Committee Materials)
Feb 17 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Housing at 10:30 AM. (Committee Materials)And refer to Ways & Means.Minority; do not pass. (Minority Report)Referred to Ways & Means.
Van De Wege, Kuderer, Conway, Hunt, Lovelett, and C. Wilson
LEARN MORE & TAKE ACTION
2023 LEGISLATIVE BILLS
This blog category filters 2023 legislative session bill summaries and related articles.
READ SUMMARIES >
JOIN THE GRASSROOTS EFFORT
Contact electeds about legislative bills directly through out Advocacy Center.
TAKE ACTION >