SB 5707 Establishing a Housing Court Pilot Program
Establishing a housing court pilot program
- Creates a new Housing Court Pilot Program inside District Court for counties in Western Washington with a population of 2 million or more (King County).
- Creates a new Housing Court Pilot Program inside District Court for counties in Eastern Washington with a population of 500,000 or more (Spokane County).
- Applies to tenancies under RCW 59.12 and 59.18.
- Includes case management that "should" result in efficient use and time.
- Court facilitator to assist both parties (housing provider and resident).
- Provide "non-adversarial" methods of dispute resolution such as a settlement conference and mediation by attorney mediators.
- Sealing of eviction records.
- Judicial officers are required to complete training program and subsequent training for a minimum of 8 hours annually.
- Report to the State December 24, 2024 and each year thereafter.
- Effective date January 1, 2024.
- Expires July 1, 2033.
- Feb 6 First reading, referred to Law & Justice. (View Original Bill)
- Feb 14 Public hearing in the Senate Committee on Law & Justice at 10:30 AM. (Committee Materials)
LEARN MORE & TAKE ACTION
2023 LEGISLATIVE BILLS
This blog category filters 2023 legislative session bill summaries and related articles.
READ SUMMARIES >
JOIN THE GRASSROOTS EFFORT
Contact electeds about legislative bills directly through out Advocacy Center.
TAKE ACTION >